Click to grab your free copy of our Garden Tools Cheat Sheet!
When Is It Too Late To Use Weed And Feed?
Every homeowner wants a healthy, beautiful lawn. Using weed and feed products to preserve your lawn's beauty can help, but you may wonder when it is too late to use weed and feed. We researched this topic to provide you with an answer.
It is too late to use weed and feed on your lawn in late fall or early winter since weeds won't grow during these times. You should wait until spring or early fall to apply weed and feed to your yard.
Knowing when and how to apply weed and feed is essential in achieving a healthy lawn. Please continue reading to learn more about the importance of using weed and feed, knowing when to use it, and how to apply it.
When Is It Too Late To Apply Weed And Feed?
Weed and feed is a mixture of herbicide and fertilizer. The product eliminates weeds while allowing the grass to grow and consume vitamins and minerals.
The right time of application will determine the product's effectiveness, and knowing when to apply weed and feed will help you achieve the best results for your lawn. Early application may decrease the chance of getting the best results.
It is too late to apply weed and feed in late fall or winter because weeds will not grow during these seasons. You should wait until spring or early fall to apply weed and feed to your yard. You should apply it when the weeds germinate.
Also, you should not use weed and feed during rain or after a heavy shower because the product will likely be swept away.
Click here to see this weed and feed on Amazon.
When To Effectively Apply Weed And Feed
Since weeds are dormant during late fall and winter, you should apply weed and feed during the early growing season as weeds are starting to grow. Using weed and feed on your lawn in early spring will help you achieve a healthy lawn. You can apply weed and feed products twice a year.
When you notice that weeds are still unmanageable after an application during spring, wait to reapply during early fall. There should be a two-month minimum interval for reapplying weed and feed. Apply it two days after mowing, especially during early fall.
Consider applying weed and feed two days after the last rain. Slightly wet soil assists the plants in taking in the elements, and weed and feed components will do their job within two to three days upon utilization. You can use a sprinkler to spray your yard for better spray coverage.
Click here to see this lawn sprinkler on Amazon.
How Does Weed And Feed Work?
Weed and feed is an effective method for killing weeds through herbicide and keeping your grass healthy through fertilizer.
Two forms of weed and feed are available: liquid and granules. The granular form consists of dry capsules with herbicide which you can distribute to your damp lawn. You can sprinkle liquid weed and feed on a wet or dry lawn.
Weed and feed also has two types: pre- and post-emergent. Learning about these two types will help you decide which one to apply to your lawn.
Click here to see this granular weed and feed on Amazon.
Pre-emergent Weed and Feed
Apply pre-emergent weed and feed to your yard at the beginning of spring, before weeds become active.
Even if you treated your lawn with pre-emergent weed and feed in the previous year, weeds can still start to grow the following year. You should apply the product at least once a year to ensure that weeds won't become a problem.
Post-emergent Weed And Feed
This type of weed and feed is for yards that have weeds. You can regulate the application of the product according to how many weeds exist.
Click here to see this all-in-one liquid weed killer on Amazon.
How To Use Weed And Feed
Make sure to prepare your lawn before application. As we mentioned, applying the product in spring or early fall is best. You should mow your lawn two days before application.
Be mindful of rainy weather, because heavy rain can sweep away weed and feed. The product will work effectively for at least 24 hours upon use, you should apply it a day before or after rain.
Make sure to water your lawn before applying to ensure the grass is damp for fast product absorption.
Here is a complete step guide on how to use weed and feed.
- You can use a spreader to apply the granular form of weed and feed. For the liquid form, you can make use of a sprinkler. Make sure that you treat your entire lawn with the product.
Click here to see this broadcast spreader on Amazon.
- Use a rake or sweeper to draw extra particles of the product from sidewalks back onto your lawn to ensure no excess product goes to waste.
- After applying weed and feed, keep children and pets off the lawn not until rain breaks down and washes off any particles that may be harmful.
- If your child or pet accidentally inhales weed and feed, immediately seek a vet or doctor.
- Do not water your lawn immediately after application to ensure that the grass and soil absorb the product for the best results. Wait for at least 24 hours before you water your yard.
- As part of caring for your lawn, seed and ventilate your yard four weeks after using weed and feed.
Click here to see this lawn mower on Amazon.
Safety Measures When Applying Weed And Feed
Before applying weed and feed to your lawn, you should consider the preventive measures below to prevent any accidents or health hazards. You should consider your own safety before anything else.
- Dress accordingly when applying the product. Wear a long-sleeved top, long pants, and gloves when you work with weed and feed. You need this protection, because the herbicides in the product can cause dermatitis, especially for those with sensitive skin.
- You should protect your eyes from weed and feed products, because they may cause eye irritation. Wear safety glasses or goggles. If you accidentally get particles in your eyes, rinse them with water.
- Do not inhale the product, as it can be detrimental to your health. You should keep the product away from children and pets.
Click here to see these gardening gloves on Amazon.
Pointers For Using Weed And Feed
Here are other tips you can check when using weed and feed.
- Before buying the product, make sure to look at the label for instructions and usage information.
- Identify the types of weeds that are taking over your lawn and ensure that the product you purchase will kill them.
- Know what kind of grass is in your lawn so that you can decide when to fertilize.
- Apply post-emergent herbicide in the morning when the grass is wet.
- Follow the product instructions regarding how often you should use weed and feed, when to apply it, and the right amount to use.
- Wash your hands and shoes after applying weed and feed to avoid bringing traces of the product inside your home.
Weed and feed can be beneficial in beautifying and maintaining your lawn. Knowing when to apply it can save you time and money, while eradicating weeds and keeping your grass healthy and green.
Using weed and feed on your lawn in late fall or early winter is not a good idea, since weeds don't grow during these periods. You should wait until spring or early fall to apply weed and feed to your yard. You should apply it when the weeds germinate.
Before you go, please check out these other related articles:
When To Weed And Feed Bermuda Grass?
Can You Over-fertilize A Lawn?