Poison ivy has urushiol on all parts, so avoid it. Contact leads to infection symptoms, even indirectly. Oil on clothing or items can cause rashes or blisters, so wash them right away. Burning the plant releases urushiol into the air, causing respiratory and eye irritation if inhaled.
Poison ivy causes contact dermatitis, with symptoms of itching, rashes, and blisters. Reaction time varies, and severity depends on exposure to urushiol. Rash is not contagious but can worsen with scratching. Urushiol can remain on surfaces for months or years.
Home remedies treat mild cases, such as cold compresses, creams, or antihistamines. Avoid scratching to prevent infection. Severe cases require medical consultation, and a corticosteroid cream may be prescribed.
What Other Plants Cause Similar Effects To Poison Ivy Plant?
Poison sumac and oak, like poison ivy, produce urushiol and have a similar effect. Avoid all three as they have three leaves forming clusters and can cause harm.