Click to grab your free copy of our Garden Tools Cheat Sheet!
10 Best Paints For Outdoor Pots That Are Plant-Safe
Painting your pots adds aesthetics and color to your garden, patio, deck, or doorway. It also helps in retaining heat from sunlight.
Dark-colored pots can absorb more sunlight and retain heat much longer than light-colored. However, you probably think about the best paint you can use for your pots.
Continue reading through this post to learn more.
Acrylic Paint is one of the best paints you can use for your pots because it is water-based and non-toxic, which is good for your plant's health. You can also use Milk Paint, Chalk Paint, Linseed Oil, and Hemp Oil. These paints are all plant-safe.
Are you searching for the best paint you can use for outdoor pots? Would you like to know how to paint pots? We have listed the best answers to your questions.
10 Best Plant-Safe Paints for Outdoor Pots
Here are the suggested plant-safe paints you can use for your pots:
1. Funto Acrylic Paint
This Acrylic Paint is ideal for any surface like wood, ceramic, glass, metal, rock, and many more, which is perfect for pots. It is water-based and non-toxic, safe for kids and plants.
Click here for acrylic Paint on Amazon.
2. Caliart Acrylic Paint Set
You can apply this paint kit to surfaces like ceramic and wood. It is non-toxic and certified safe even for kids. Acrylic Paint is easy to clean using soap and water.
Click here for an acrylic paint set on Amazon.
3. Innorock Kids Flower Planting Growing Kit
This product is a complete set of paint and plant for kids. Parents can teach their kids planting as well as painting and arts.
The kit includes 12 Acrylic Paints, a soil disk, planter tub, palette, plant marker, paintbrush, shovels and rake, watering bottle, and four flower seeds: Magnolia, Balsam, Cosmo, and Zinnia. All materials included are non-toxic.
View this painting kit on Amazon here.
4. Rust-Oleum Linen White Chalked Matte Paint
Chalk Paint is water-based and eco-friendly. This product works best on ceramic, metal, canvas, and wood. You can use it on pots and containers.
See this chalked matte Paint on Amazon.
5. Rust-Oleum Milk Paint Finish
Milk Paint Finish is water-based and has a low odor, which is easy to clean using water and soap.
It dries quickly within 30 minutes. Milk Paint is safe for plants and crops because it is non-toxic and made from lime, natural pigment, and milk protein.
Click here to see this milk Paint on Amazon.
6. Real Milk Paint Hemp Oil
This product is made of milk and hemp oil-based and is all-natural and solvent-free—perfect for pots and containers. You can apply this on most surfaces like wood and ceramic.
View this hemp oil paint on Amazon here.
7. Chalk Style Paint
This paint is an all-in-one DIY with a top coat and built-in primer, which you can use indoors and outdoors on any surface: metal, wood, laminate, and many more.
It is eco-friendly and has no chemicals added; safe to use for pots and containers. There is no need to use wax for finishing.
Follow this link to view it on Amazon.
8. Apple Barrel Acrylic Paint
This Acrylic paint dries in a matte finish, which is ideal for crafts and arts.
You can use it on surfaces such as paper, wood, styrofoam, and many more. Acrylic Paint is water-based and non-toxic, which is also ideal for planters.
Click here to see this Paint on Amazon.
9. Old Fashioned Milk Paint
Milk Paint is non-toxic and environment-safe. The colors do not fade quickly and have a semi-gloss finish. This product is safe for kids and can be used on most surfaces.
Click here to view it on Amazon.
10. Ceramcoat Delta Acrylic Paint Matte Finish
This paint finish has a beautiful and modern style, which is perfect for your garden. You can use it on surfaces like terra cotta, wood, canvas, and many more. This product is non-toxic and water-based.
Check out this ceramcoat Paint on Amazon.
Is Paint Harmful To Plants?
Some paint may be harmful to plants because of additives and chemicals added, which can cause harm to your plant's health. These chemicals could mix with the soil and seep into the plant's roots.
There are paints with Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) included. These chemicals contain carbon which can harm humans and the Ozone. They enter the atmosphere once the paint dries up.
That is why you should look for paint with no chemicals or VOCs and contains natural ingredients.
What Are The Safest Paints To Use On Garden Pots?
Listed here are the types of paints that are safe for plants:
This paint can be used on any surface and is effective on outdoor pots. Acrylic paints are non-toxic and water-based and are easy to clean with water and soap.
Linseed Oil Paint
Linseed Oil Paint is a slow-drying paint, safe to use on planter boxes. The oil is safe for plants and does not leach into the soil if applied correctly.
Hemp Oil Paint
Hemp Oil Paint is a natural paint that is eco-friendly. You can use this on almost any material. Best used for pots and baskets because it is 100% natural and biodegradable.
Because Milk Paint is non-toxic, it is becoming popular for outdoor and indoor use. Milk Paint has protein, natural pigments, and lime, which are perfect for pots of edible crops.
Chalk-Based paint is environment-friendly, water-based, and reduces fumes, which is best for plastic pots. Although Chalk Paint isn't durable, you need to wax it after painting the pots for additional protection.
How To Paint An Outdoor Glazed Ceramic Pot
Here are the steps in painting glazed ceramic pots:
- Rinse the ceramic pot using the kitchen faucet or your garden hose.
- Use a scrub brush to wash it with water and detergent soap.
- Rinse well both inside and outside.
- Let the pot dry rigorously in the sun, or you can use a hair dryer.
- Grab the materials you need for painting: Glossy exterior paint spray, paint brushes, sandpaper, Latex primer, and damp cloth.
- Lay down a newspaper on your working table to avoid staining it.
- Use sandpaper to roughen the glossy surface of the pot.
- Wipe the ceramic pot with a damp cloth.
- Use the brush to apply the primer, then let it dry.
- Once the primer dries, proceed with painting your pot evenly. You can also apply paint inside it.
- Let it dry completely. Wait for 24 hours before potting your plant.
How To Paint Unglazed Ceramic Pots
Unglazed ceramic pots do not have a protective coating, which makes them porous. Here's how to give color and aesthetic:
- Pick the design you want to paint.
- Sketch your desired design to avoid redoing your project.
- Pick the colors you want to use for your project. Bold and vibrant colors are best to stand out
- against the rough, unglazed texture of ceramic.
- Clean the pot thoroughly using soap and water. Let it dry in the sun, or you can use a hair dryer to dry it faster.
- Start painting your pot. Apply the paint evenly and gently. You can use different brush sizes to paint smaller details.
- Let it dry out completely.
- Coat it with polyurethane or varnish to protect it from wear and tear.
How To Paint Plastic Plant Pots
These are the steps in painting plastic pots:
- Wash the pot in the sink and use detergent soap. Rub it gently with steel wool to remove grime and dirt.
- Remove the remaining dirt and oil using alcohol. Let the pot dry for a few minutes.
- Place the pot in a ventilated room at 60-85 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover your work area with a newspaper to avoid staining it.
- Get a cinder block and place the pot on top to paint the entire surface in one go. Use spray paint and cover the surface evenly. Ensure you hold the can at least 8 to 12 inches away from the pot.
- Let it dry until the painting is no longer gluey when touched.
To Finish Up
We tackled plant-safe outdoor paints and how to apply them to the pots. Hoping this post helps you with your project. Have a more colorful garden!
Made it to the end? Check out these helpful posts below!
What's The Best Color For Planters And Pots?
How To Plant Pots Without Drainage Holes?